Use Antivirus in Hipchat

garbage@gmx.de May 8, 2018
Is it possible to integrate a AntiVirus solution, preferably for any file shared by HipChat. The idea would be to check any file before fully accepting it. The AntiVirus could be either locally (installed into the VM) or external //remote (comparable to a solution like virustotal.com)
I'm asking this because we mustn't rely on endpoint protection on the clients

1 answer

1 vote
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2018

Hi there.

While we do not have any official documentation or article that addresses this concern of file security, we have the Security of Hipchat documentation to explain the implementation of 256-bit SSL encryption to secure file and data transmission across HipChat. Antivirus in general is known to cause performance issues for applications in general, so that could possibly be one of the reason why it was not considered initially.

While I understand your concern on this matter, may I know if you would like to have this addressed to the development team through jira.atlassian.com?

garbage@gmx.de May 9, 2018

Yes, please forward this to the development team.

Some background: in a proof of concept our security officers were able to transport a virus into our internal network by using the onprem hipchat. Other services are fully protected and this will most likely end with us having to shut down Hipchat completely.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 13, 2018

Hi.

I went ahead and created the Suggestion based on the explanation provided from your end. 

We encourage you to visit the suggestion page linked above and click the Vote and Watch links near the top right to show support for the feature. By doing this, it will ensure you are proactively informed of progress and updates going forward.

Feedbacks are also appreciated. You can do this by leaving a comment on the ticket as this helps us prioritize & understand the use case of the feature request.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events