Unread message count in left sidebar

Hello,

We're new to HipChat and want to use it over Skype.  When signing in to HipChat either via the web or Mac app I am not seeing unread message counts so I need to click into each room to see what I missed.  This is critical or we are going to miss activity.  We don't want a lot of noise so we turn off the e-mail notifications.  Is this a bug, expected, something I'm missing?  Also in the web I can't resize the left nav bar but can on Mac and Windows.

Thank you

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Neal,

HipChat does not currently track unread messages when you're not logged in. We hope to add that in a future release.

-Jonathan 

If you could just put a "new" lozenge that would help. How do I know where there's been activity? Thanks

it is end of 2016. Where are we with this feature? 

Main problem is you see now notifications only while the time you are online! but please! this cannot be true! We need to see also when we are away and open our HipChat app, the messages we have not read yet... this feature has to be through all platorms. 

Skype an others are able to do it... 

This is a big complaint in our organisation at the moment.  Any idea when this will be fixed.

+1, this feature is crucial

For us, too. We are currently exploring different alternatives, and this is a deal-braker! In reality it means we miss a lot of messages and critical information.

+1, this is a deal breaker

+1, Keep missing messages

+1, keep missing messages

+1

My biggest complaint about HipChat, hasn't changed in 3 years of use. Everything needed seems to available on the API because when I actually click on the room the line indicating unread messages is shown.

This widget could not be displayed.
Jack Brickey Community Champion Jul 27, 2017

I think i'm missing something as my Mac OS client provide unread message count and I can't recall it not working over the past year+. It also works on my iOS client. I haven't checked the web I/F as I don't use that nor Windows client. If this is not working then it should be, and likely is, an open HC ticket w/ Atlassian. I took a quick peek and see a number of related issues but they all seem to be variations or special cases rather than the basic operation.

I assume the +1s here are also being applied to a product issue w/ Atlassian?

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

243 views 1 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you