It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Trying to file bug report, don't have "assign issues" permission - catch 22

I'm trying to file a bugreport in the public Jira:

https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/HCPUB/issues

Fails with "User 'mike.elyNNNNN' doesn't have the 'Assign Issues' permission"

What gives here? The bug causes my client to freeze many times a day so it's  not like I'm incredibly thrilled with the software to begin with, but when the Jira gives such monkeyshines it's really discouraging. To put it mildly.

1 answer

0 votes

Have a look at the block of text telling you why you can't raise an issue and where to go to do it (Atlassian are using Service Desks to do this now, and "block issue type with impossible validator" is a simple way to stop people raising the wrong thing)

So put differently, until I can drag the Support Entitlement Number from somebody, I can't file a bugreport. Nice.

I guess that's one way to avoid fixing issues.

Yup.  No SEN, you haven't paid, so you're not contributing.  Bit of a pain for those of us who want to report on behalf of clients.

But worth asking here about the problem - I'm told we get there faster than support quite regularly.

We've paid plenty, have a full stack of expensive Atlassian software in production. It's just a matter of hassling the SEN out of somebody who's busy with more important issues than a linux client bug.

I'll post a separate thread on the actual bug in question.

I do understand it - if you're only going to support paying users, it's perfectly reasonable to ask for a minimal level of evidence that <unknown user> really is one of them.

Which is fine. If Hipchat had "About... version" information (which it doesn't) it could be there. I'm really disappointed in that particular product. On the server itself, it looks like nothing so much as some devops kid mashing together a bunch of frameworks and then declaring the resulting prototype to be production code. The client is just a chrome web app, which shouldn't be subject to the kind of bugginess it displays.

Fortunately the other Atlassian stuff we run appears to be competently engineered.

This "User 'mike.elyNNNNN' doesn't have the 'Assign Issues' permission" message is so *&^%$ stupid. Here I have been for ages trying to raise a bug, tearing my hair out trying to figure out what I've done wrong? The message could be more helpful than that.

I'm only wanting to raise an issue, not demanding a fix. [Although an answer would be good... am hitting issue JSWSERVER-5752 (from years ago), which was marked as "won't fix" but I can't see a reason why it would've been evaluated that way.]

Ah well, just another reason to dislike Jira. Grrrr.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Hipchat

Hipchat Cloud and Stride have reached End of Life (updated)

All good things come to an end - thanks to all our customers and partners who have been along the Hipchat and Stride journey with us.  As of Feb 15th 2019, Hipchat Cloud and Stride have reached ...

35,195 views 9 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you