Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The option "Notify" in sending room/user message through API not working

wendao liu June 4, 2018

I was able to manage to send user/room message through API properly, option like color, format all working perfectly, but not notify option.

so I am assuming what notify option will do is trigger a user notification and by default of user's preference, it will show up a red num on top right of app let you know you have got a message. but even I set up the notify option to True in request body, it won't do anything. when user get message from API, it was received in silent way, no notification of anything, you have to click to the room/user to find out if you got a new message or not.

Taking room message as example:

API_URL = "https://api.hipchat.com/v2/room/testing_room"

payload = 

{'message': 'testing notify', 'notify': True, 'message_format': 'text', 'color': 'green'}

Can someone advise? 

Thank you!!

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2018

Hi, Wendao.

I have this tested and verified that the behavior differs between HipChat Cloud and HipChat Server / Data Center:

• Cloud: It sends a silent notification to the user. No pop up notification, sound, unread message counter(s)
  • Server / Data Center: The notify parameter triggers the notification, sound, and message counter

Can you please confirm for now if you are on Cloud or Server?

wendao liu June 6, 2018

Hi Ahmad, Thank you for all these details! 

I am not quite sure where to check exactly, but I believe I am still using the free version, so it should be cloud version. 

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2018

Hi, Wendao.

You are welcome. With that, I went ahead and created the following bug report to address the issue to the development team for tracking purposes:

I encourage you to visit the bug page linked above and click the Watch link near the top right to show support for the feature. By doing this, it will ensure you are proactively informed of progress and updates going forward.

Feedbacks are also appreciated. You can do this by leaving a comment on the ticket as this helps us prioritize the bug better. 

With the introduction of Stride to replace HipChat Cloud in the future, may we know if you are already in the process of upgrading your group already? Please refer to the FAQ for more information - What will happen to Hipchat Cloud?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events