Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sort contacts/people

Monika Krejcirova February 7, 2017

How can I sort my contacts on the left hand side? It seems like such a basic function but I cannot find anywhere to do so and going through a long list of contacts up and down each time I look for someone is proving very annoying. 

2 answers

0 votes

Hello Daniel, thank you for your feedback. Will definitely upvote the sorting of people. I didn't know about the shortcuts s that is very helpful. It doesn't seem to address my problem though, I think. I have long list of people and need to find Kate in the long list. It's a pain in a bum to do so now, scrolling many times to find needle in a hay. Selecting the Search Chat History option is even more painful sad as it leads to a web page login screen, I am using desktop app.

danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2017

Sorry Monika, I think I didn't explain the shortcut / feature very well. I'm not talking about "Search chat history", I'm talking about a feature we call the quick switcher. You can get to it with a keyboard shortcut. Depending on if you're using Mac or Windows, you'll use a slightly different command to use the feature, on Mac it is " + J". If you're using windows, view the complete list of keyboard shortcuts using "Ctrl + /" to be sure, the feature is listed as "New chat"...but it's not for creating a "new" chat, it's for opening an existing chat.

Once you type the keyboard shortcut, you'll see a small search field appear in the center of your screen. You can use this search field to find group conversations or individual people whether you currently have them open in your sidebar or not.

https://www.screencast.com/t/n7ALIUyOoT4G

Watch this quick video, in it, I first search for a teammate named Alex, then a teammate named Pratik, then a group conversation with the HipChat QE team. Also, you'll notice that I too have a lot of open group and 1-1 conversations and scanning through the list to find the ones I'm looking for would not be ideal. In the video, I jump in and out of each conversation in just a second or two using this quick switcher feature and I didn't have to scan my open conversations list on the left side at all. I hope this video helps and I hope the feature makes HipChat a bit more efficient to use.

Thanks again, I see the New Chat now (I am on Windows.) Yes, this helps more for sure while the sorting is addressed one day, hopefully smile as it's quite basic.

Btw, why do I get redirected to web page when using the Search function?

danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2017

We had to build it that way in the Windows client specifically to protect against some possible security concerns related to the specific technologies we rely on to create this app. Sorry about that! In a future Windows client version, we plan to display the search results directly in the client.

0 votes
danny
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2017

Hi Monika,

There is good news at the end of this answer but first, the answer...that is not currently a feature of HipChat. There is a feature request for it here if you'd like to upvote it. It is here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-363

The good news is that we have a quick switcher feature and I think this will mostly solve your use case. You can get to it with  + J in the mac app. You can find the complete and current list of keyboard shortcuts by typing Ctrl + /  or ⌘ + / while using the HipChat web client or desktop application. You can use this quick switcher to quickly jump to conversations you're looking for. Once you start using it, I think you'll discover that spending time scanning through your open conversations list looking for one specific conversation is a thing of the past. Hope so.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events