Something's gone terribly wrong. We informed headquarters.

Getting 'Something's gone terribly wrong. We informed headquarters.' when starting HipChat 4.0.1610.

Upgraded to 4.0.1610 last Friday. It worked. Getting this error now though since I have rebooted my laptop today for the first time since installing 4.0.1610.

I found some solution involving localhost:12345; this however gives me ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED in Chrome. Tried to add a rule to Windows Firewall but this doesn't work.

So... I'm stuck now.

Rather annoying I can't even inspect my own HipChat setting when this occurs...

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
David Maye Atlassian Team Dec 09, 2015

Hi Ruud,

May I ask if you added the --remoteDebug argument in the HipChat path? If so, you'll have to wait until the app is running and the error message displays before you load up the browser and navigate to localhost. 

It's also possible that you added the argument, but did not restart the client after the argument was added. Please navigate to the Windows taskbar, right click on the HipChat icon and select 'Quit HipChat'. Then open up the app again and see if that helps.

The steps at "Somethings Gone Terribly Wrong" when connecting to HipChat Windows 4.0 are helpful for others that are experiencing the same issue. Hope this helps! 

Cheers,
-David
HipChat Server Support Engineer | Atlassian

Hi,

Thanks. Already did that before, the --remoteDebug.

But... got it working again somehow this time.

Some remarks:

• The steps on that help page also mention --logtofile out of the blue. Not explained, not in the text, not in the picture, just in the example. Confusing.
  • Going to localhost:12345 in IE does give the 2 HipChat links. Clicking the one without icon results in a blank page (the one with icon too). In Chrome it works.
  • The Console gives errors (in red) when opening and when entering localStorage.clear(). And accuses me of trying to reverse engineer something. But it does work in the end it seems, after pressing Retry HipChat opens again.
  • I did notice when I tried to start HipChat the that I suddenly had to enter my HipChat server address again. And my settings (like dark background) have disappeared.
  • On the bottom of your help page it out of the blue mentions 'Please make sure you have the --logtoabout argument added to the HipChat startup path'. Without explanation. Confusing.
  • It does not say what to do after things work again. Leave the --remoteDebug? Remove it?

UPDATE: Ok... my bad regarding Chrome... it says so... smile

David Maye Atlassian Team Dec 09, 2015

Hi Ruud,

• The steps on that help page also mention --logtofile out of the blue. Not explained, not in the text, not in the picture, just in the example. Confusing.

I added a small snippet that explains this a little bit.

• The Console gives errors (in red) when opening and when entering localStorage.clear(). And accuses me of trying to reverse engineer something. But it does work in the end it seems, after pressing Retry HipChat opens again.

It's not accusing you, it's a message to users who go into this console =) What you should see after pressing enter is you'll see the word 'undefined'. I've added another snippet to make this clear.

• I did notice when I tried to start HipChat the that I suddenly had to enter my HipChat server address again. And my settings (like dark background) have disappeared.

Yeah, this is also normal for this version. We're going to update the client to retain these settings in a future update =)

• On the bottom of your help page it out of the blue mentions 'Please make sure you have the --logtoabout argument added to the HipChat startup path'. Without explanation. Confusing.

The note I added should explain this a bit more.

• It does not say what to do after things work again. Leave the --remoteDebug? Remove it?

Added a note saying you can remove it if you wish.

Thanks for the followup.

Cheers,
-David
HipChat Server Support Engineer | Atlassian

Well... have a new laptop with Windows 10... and have been waiting for weeks for a new properly signed build... saw it was finally available today... but surprise surprise... it's not working...

image2016-3-11 23:43:44.png

I have been able to open it exactly once... it then showed my rooms... I saw some messages... even posted one... and then it stopped... rooms went blank... it kept saying 'Connecting' on the top forever.

And after exiting and starting again it keeps saying this. Tried several times.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

241 views 1 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you