Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution for remote access to Hipchat Enterprise?

Andy Zhao August 16, 2017

Hi there.

Here's a requirement from user experience the management concerns within my company to Hipchat. They'd like employees to keep online with mobile devices, so that people could still send/receive short messages any time.

I'm wondering if we could handle out of office access to Hipchat cloud, and setup some sort of message trunking between inhouse Hipchat Enterprise and the cloud?

There're other "traditional" approaches, ie VPN in before login, or DMZ and expose on corporate firewall. But they don't seem to be the best fit.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Systems Engineer

Andy

1 answer

0 votes
Arbi Dridi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2017

Hi Andy, 

It should be possible to ship all messages in a room in HipChat Server to a room in HipChat Cloud. This involves development work as follows: 

1. Create a room_message webhook in HipChat Server that will fire for every message sent to the room
  2. The webhook will hit a URL in HipChat Cloud to post the same message to the matching room in HipChat Cloud via the send_message API endpoint. 

This method has a few drawbacks though: 

• Has to be setup for every room
  • Cannot work with 1-on-1 conversations
  • Requires user tokens to be generated to post the message to HipChat Cloud

Another option would be to consider using a third-party app like Sameroom. Here's how they bridge chat rooms between HipChat and Slack: Connect a Channel in Slack to a Room in HipChat.

Connecting HipChat to HipChat Server should also be possible.

In your case, the message will go in one way from Server to Cloud since your Server instance is locked down.

I hope this helps.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events