Slash command to local url

Andrew Schreiner March 13, 2017

Is it possible to create a slash command that hits a local url? I have created one from the integrations menu but it doesn't seem to be reaching my local url which is available on our internal network. Is this supported or can I only post to publicly accessible sites? 

1 answer

1 vote
Nick Turskyi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2017

Hi Andrew,

A webhook is initiated from HipChat servers, so they should be able to access your endpoint.

If you're using HipChat Server behind the firewall, i.e. inside your internal network, it should work.

Hope that helps,

Nick

Andrew Schreiner March 15, 2017

I created a test instance and made sure I had a public URL that was accessible and it doesn't look like it's working. 

I created a simple html page with the following text in it that it should be pulling in I think

{
"color": "green",
"message": "Andrew!!!",
"notify": false,
"message_format": "text"
}

Nick Turskyi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2017

Andrew,

Be aware that HipChat will POST to this URL, not just GET it. Some web servers don't allow POST request to static files be default (that happened to me with nginx).

I would try POST'ing to this URL manually (e.g. with curl) first in order to make sure it returns the JSON response.

Regards,

Nick

Andrew Schreiner March 17, 2017

That's what it was. Thanks so much for the help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events