Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL handshake error

Nick Kompas January 20, 2017

Hip Chat has this super annoying bug, every few minutes I get a popup that says "SSL handshake error".

This doesn't happen on the web client, only on the installed application on my Windows machine.
Even though it happens, hip chat still works fine, so it's not preventing me to use HipChat, just causes a lot of annoyance.
My colleagues using the same network, the same version of HipChat and the identical Windows environment and configuration do not get this pop up. (Or they used to and it stopped).

I think this is a bug and it shouldn't be happening. If webclient is happy, and hip chat is happy on everyone else on my network, then so should my installed client. There is no reason why they would be inconsistent.
Also, if HipChat works fine, that means that pop up shouldn't be happening at all.

Can Atlassian do something about this? 
Because it's a blocking pop up my computer freezes while it pops and I can only continue work after I click OK, which buys me another few minutes.

2 answers

0 votes
Vladimir Kolesnik August 8, 2017

HipChat desktop client uses your system root CA trust store. I assume you trying to connect a hipchat server with self signed certifcate and your system (workstation) doesnt trust this CA, because root CA is not added. The reason why it works (https is green) in browser is most-likely  root CA was added to browser trust store. Open your browser settings and head over to certificates to find the necessary certificate, in theory you should be able to export it and import into your windows trust store.

I had the same issue (on linux), with SSL handshake error constantly popping up. I added root CA and the error disappeared. I assume something similar is doable on windows as well. 

0 votes
crivers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2017

It sounds like there might be something specific to your system configuration that is causing the handshake error to happen. If you contact the team at support@hipchat.com they should be able to help diagnose the problem and potentially get logging data if that will help. Like you mentioned, using the web client in the meanwhile might be a good workaround if the handshake error happens frequently.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events