Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL Issue - Broken Chain

Chris Reichert February 11, 2015

So, I got the ssl installed after importing the pem file in order (my crt, main ca and 2nd ca), but it shows that I have a broken chain in the SSL cert.  Not sure what to do now since the key matches the crt for the server and it half works.  This is the error I get:

The certificate is not trusted in all web browsers. You may need to install an Intermediate/chain certificate to link it to a trusted root certificate.

https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=someonechat.me

https://someonechat.me/

Any Ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
David Maye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2015

Hi Chris,

After doing a quick look at your cert, it appears that you may have an intermediate that isn't needed and causing trust issues in the chain:

My-MacBook-Pro:~ dmaye$ openssl s_client -connect someonechat.me:443
CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=0 /OU=GT82123503/OU=See www.rapidssl.com/resources/cps (c)15/OU=Domain Control Validated - RapidSSL(R)/CN=someonechat.me
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:1
depth=0 /OU=GT82123503/OU=See www.rapidssl.com/resources/cps (c)15/OU=Domain Control Validated - RapidSSL(R)/CN=someonechat.me
verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
---
Certificate chain
 0 s:/OU=GT82123503/OU=See www.rapidssl.com/resources/cps (c)15/OU=Domain Control Validated - RapidSSL(R)/CN=someonechat.me
   i:/C=US/O=GeoTrust Inc./CN=RapidSSL SHA256 CA - G3
 1 s:/C=US/O=GeoTrust, Inc./CN=RapidSSL CA
   i:/C=US/O=GeoTrust Inc./CN=GeoTrust Global CA
 2 s:/C=US/O=GeoTrust Inc./CN=GeoTrust Global CA
   i:/C=US/O=Equifax/OU=Equifax Secure Certificate Authority
---

Since you have two intermediates, you should try to remove one of them (keeping the primary and one intermediate) and import that into Server and see if that does the trick. If that doesn't work, check with your SSL provider and see what intermediate should be used with your primary cert.

As always, snap shot your instance before making changes and reboot the instance after importing the cert.

Cheers,
-David

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events