Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password reset mail sent to the Email ID but not received

Zeeshan Ahmed November 15, 2018

I tried resetting my password. After writing my email address in the email textbox, I hit the send Email button. And it says that if my account is associated with my email, then it will send the instructions.. But even after that I didnt't recieve any such mail. 

P.S. I have already used this method to reset my hipchat password in the past

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 18, 2018

Hi there, Zeeshan.

Since you mentioned that you have performed this method to reset your password in the past, it could mean that

• something is happening on HipChat's end itself that causes the password reset email to not delivered as expected
  • email ended up in the spam / junk folder of your email
  • configuration changes in the mail server host

Can you please confirm if you are an admin of the HipChat instance? If yes, may I know if it is possible for you to reproduce the issue and provide the following information to here?

• The output of /var/log/hipchat/mail.log after the issue is replicated
  • The output of the mailq command when you run it on the HipChat terminal / SSH console

Let me know how it goes on your end.

Zeeshan Ahmed November 18, 2018

Would like to mention that

• I am not the admin of the HipChat instance. I am just a member.
  • I didn't receive any mails in the spam folder.

Can't access the following points since Im not the admin

• The output of /var/log/hipchat/mail.log after the issue is replicated
  • The output of the mailq command when you run it on the HipChat terminal / SSH console
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2018

Hello, Zeeshan.

Thanks for the confirmation. Since nothing much can be determined from the front-end, is it possible to have the HipChat admin involved here to gather the information to further troubleshoot the issue?

Feel free to let me know if you are more comfortable to have a support ticket created to discuss this issue further. Thanks.

Zeeshan Ahmed November 20, 2018

Hi Danial,

Thanks for the support.

It happened because my account was deactivated somehow. 

However the message I got at the time of resetting the password shouldn't have been that way. Instead it should have shown that my account was not in active state.

We can close the discussion now.

Thanks

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
November 26, 2018

Hi, Zeeshan.

You are welcome. Glad to know that we were able to determine the root cause of the issue. So, this is an interesting point:

Instead it should have shown that my account was not in active state.

We want to (as much as possible) avoid any possible attempt to hack through accounts on HipChat, hence the reason why the message seem vague to confuse hackers to think that they will be able to receive the email in the first place.

The best method to troubleshoot this is to always reach out to the HipChat administrator to determine the status of your account. If needed, we will then further troubleshoot it to see what is happening in the backend. 

I hope that makes sense. Feel free to let me know if you have any other concerns. Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events