PagerDuty webhook notification volume?

I've got PagerDuty successfully sending messages to a HipChat room, but I'm not getting notifications (pop up) from my Windows client when a new message arrives.  Room notification volume is set to loud, and my client is set to show a popup.  It's working as expected for our other integrations (JIRA, Confluence, etc.)

Any ideas?

2 answers

1 vote

Suspect PagerDuty message doesn't set the notify flag:

from https://www.hipchat.com/docs/apiv2/method/send_room_notification

[notify flag defines] whether this message should trigger a user notification (change the tab color, play a sound, notify mobile phones, etc). Each recipient's notification preferences are taken into account.

Jeff, can you contact PagerDuty and they should be able to change the addon.

Hi @Anatoli Kazatchkov,

I am a Technical Support Engineer at PagerDuty and I am happy to provide some insight and assistance here. The PagerDuty to HipChat integration was actually developed by Atlassian and is currently maintained by your team. In addition, the integration is still using v1 of the HipChat API and not v2 as you had linked above. Would you be able to forward this discussion to the appropriate member of your team to update this addon? I am happy to provide any additional information you may need from our team, just let me know how I can help!

Cheers,

Luke

Thanks Luke, I will follow up on that. I believe David Hayes was developing the new version but it wasn't released. Maybe instead of fixing this bug it is worthwhile reviving the newer version smile .

Thanks Anatoli! David does have the new version on the roadmap but there is not currently an ETA on when it will be ready for release. If resolving this issue is as simple as updating the notify flag to true, I think it would be helpful for the users to have this updated while we work on the new version. Let me know what you think!

From my perspective, this is a major problem that is slowing adoption of HipChat by my team.  PagerDuty notifications are urgent by nature – if there is no notification to the HipChat user this integration becomes almost pointless.  I know we have other mechanisms for receiving PagerDuty notifications, but the idea is to get the notification in HipChat and then have the support team jump in and discuss.

Any information you can provide as to when / if this will be changed would be greatly appreciate so that I can update our tools roadmap.

Hi @Anatoli Kazatchkov, have you been able to discuss this issue with your engineering team at all? Do you know if the resolution for this issue is as simple as marking the notify flag as true in the plugin? I can try to have our product team prioritize the new plugin but developing a new plugin is going to take a lot longer than modifying the old plugin to support notifications. If you can provide us with the source code I'm also happy to see if we have the resources to make these updates on our end.

Had a look through the code and it seems like it should be possible to set that flag via the webhook url. Can you please add &notify=1 parameter to the webhook URL on PagerDuty side and see if it works for you. It should look like this.

https://api.hipchat.com/v1/webhooks/pagerduty/?auth_token=<auth_token>&room_id=<room_id>&notify=1

Jeff, would still love you to prioritize the new integration – it would be so much better with the glance and sidebar view for extra info.

[EDIT] Updated the link to have a correct value for notify flag.

I added "&notify=true" to the end of the query string.  Unfortunately this does not appear to trigger a notification event in HipChat.

Sorry, it is "&notify=1" not =true. It worked in my tests.

Awesome!  Setting "&notify=1" activates notifications.

Atlassian should add this to the documentation https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.pagerduty.hipchat/cloud/installation

@Anatoli Kazatchkov Thank you very much for your help in getting this resolved!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 19, 2018 in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

17,413 views 4 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you