Mass change HipChat user timezones

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has run into a way to mass change user's timezones in HipChat DataCenter version.  All of the user accounts defaulted to UTC time and currently, unless a user changes their timezone (which ends up a bit cumbersome since you can't do it in the desktop app), their time appears off by several hours when you click on their chat session.  Ideally, we could default all users to EST and update all existing users to that timezone as well.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Ahmad Danial Atlassian Team Oct 24, 2017

Hi, Neil!

By default, we do not have a method to do it explicitly from the web interface from the admin perspective. We have the following Suggestion raised in the public tracker site:

As mentioned in the suggestion, you can consider any of the following alternatives to achieve this:

• Utilize the HipChat update_user API to programmatically update user timezone settings
  • Database modification (unsupported) which is outlined in the same page here (Make sure you perform a backup first. VERY IMPORTANT)

Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

508 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you