Make desktop notifications visible

Hey! I am using the HipChat desktop app and I have desktop notifications turned on. The problem is that these notifications come as white "cards" and the text on them is transparent. Therefore, if for example I have a bright webpage open, the notifications showing up on top of it are not visible. How can I change the aspect of these notifications to make them solid (not transparent)? Thank you in advance!

6 answers

I have fedora 27 (latest by now), gnome desktop. Hipchat does not shows notifications at all. No popups, no sound.

0 votes

Hi Isabel.

As clarification, may I know which OS you're currently referring to? Seems like you're referring to your Linux client as most desktop notifications aren't transparent. The following guide below might do the trick:

You may also be affected by one of known  notification issue reported in: HCPUB-1333 - Linux client notifications are unreadable/distorted 

Get back to us and let us know how it goes?

Thanks.
Edwin

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your help. I have checked the 2 points you referred. Indeed, I am having the same issue reported in HCPUB-1333 - Linux client notifications are unreadable/distorted, which apparently has not been fixed yet :(

Nevertheless, I still tried following the guide you indicated

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2016/05/customizing-notification-bubbles-ubuntu-16-04/

But it does not appear to have any impact on Hipchat notifications.

Regards,

Isabel

Is this still not fixed??

I think that the problems is related to the intel GPU drivers on linux.

I change to an Nvidia GPU and now I can read the popups.... 

0 votes

Too bad there isn't a 'run external program for notifications' - then it could use the system standard notifications instead of its own: my standard notifications appear in the middle of my large screen so I can't miss them hiding in the bottom corner.

It seems that this will never get fixed now Atlassian has chosen to work with Slack.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

482 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you