Mac client - Sounds playing for second group even turned off from settings

I have a mac desktop client which I use for connecting to two different teams. For both I have the settings the same: No sound messages.

For some reason the first team I joined, this works fine and I do not get sound notifications. But for the second one turning off the sound notifications dont work. Everytime someone is typing something to the chat, I get a sound notification. 

How to make both channels be silent? Even putting the second one to "silent" does not do anything. Still getting the sounds.

1 answer

0 vote

This sounds like it might be a bug, although it seems to be working on my client. Some additional details may help diagnose:

1. What version of the client / macOS are you running?
  2. Are you using the overall notification preferences to control the type of notifications you receive? (i.e. the ones under HipChat > [company name] Preferences in the top level menu). In order to not receive sounds, your preferences should look something like this:
  3. What are your per-room notifications set to for that room (accessed via the bell icon in the upper right of each room)?

If you have specific steps that cause the issue to happen, contacting us at would be helpful, so we can file an issue to investigate the problem.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Maarten Cautreels
Published Oct 07, 2017 in Hipchat

Bringing Structure to your HipChat Instance

...have mention name FirstnameLastname. Fe.: @MaartenCautreels This certainly helps to know who is being mentioned in a conversation. Imagine your colleague sends the following message...

464 views 1 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot