Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac App unable to connect to host server

Daniel Foulkes January 1, 2018

hi all,

Since downloading the Mac App I have been unable to connect to my companies hipchat server.

I've tried the advice  at https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchatkb/unable-to-sign-in-to-the-hipchat-desktop-app-751436202.html.

testing a telnet connection to the server:

telnet <server> 5222 

which connects and disconnects as I expected it to do,

I then cleared the app settings as advised, still unable to connect, all that happens is after entering the server address in the "Log in to a HipChat team sever" the spinning wheel just keeps spinning with no sign of actually connecting.

When I try the same from my Windows machine or connect via the web app there's no problem.

any advice?

1 answer

0 votes
Bruno Raymundo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

Hi, Daniel!

The Mac client is a bit stricter than the other ones with network redirections; this could be a possible cause of the problem you're seeing here. You can test bypassing any proxies you have and connect to the server directly, temporarily, in order to check if this is the case. If you have a load balancer or reverse proxy, please add a valid cert to HipChat as well and configure your proxy to use port 443 across the whole chain of connections.

If you're still experiencing problems, feel free to contact our support team and we'll check.

Cheers!

Daniel Foulkes January 4, 2018

hi, Bruno!

sadly no luck; I've not behind any restrictive proxy, even on public and home wifi I still have the same problem.

it seems to affect Mac users who first logged into the web app prior to installing and running the native app.

any ideas?

Bruno Raymundo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2018

Hi, Daniel!

If you can consistently reproduce this behavior (Mac users affected only when first logging into the web), then it might be worthwhile to raise a support ticket with us for deeper investigation.

In the meantime, can you try asking one of the affected users to clear the cache/preferences and try to log in again?

Daniel Foulkes May 10, 2018

hi sorry for the delay of my response, I gave up on this for months. Now I'm getting sick of having to use a web client and the bore of having to work around a tool.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events