Is there a way to disable certain global emoticons?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Fun with emoticons

There are a couple Global Emoticons with potentially offensive language. Specifically one that starts with f. We would rather not have these emoticons available to use, and especially not viewable as an option. All you have to do is type "(f" and it will pop up as an option to choose from. 

It would be helpful if we could either disable certain global emoticons or at least change their names. 

2 answers

1 accepted

Hi Mark,

That's correct.  My apologies, I didn't realise you were on Cloud as you hadn't added that tag. 

There is an existing ticket requesting that this functionality be added to HipChat Cloud: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-443

In the meantime if you talk to Atlassian support they may be able to disable that emoticon (and others if required).

Thank you Rob. I will submit a ticket. 

Hi Mark,

See Atlassian's instructions for just such a request: https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchatkb/how-to-remove-global-emoticons-in-hipchat-server-815582027.html

It also includes instructions for running the process automatically on every reboot and upgrade so the unwanted emoticons aren't re-added.

We use the cloud server. It says it does not apply to that. 

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

104 views 3 7
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you