Instead of closing the Hipchat window with "Command + W" it is closing the latest chat, why?

Every other application I know just closes the application window by pressing "Command + W". Not with HipChat, it is closing your most valuable latest chat... 

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

This is actually the expected behavior of the shortcut. We've setup the shortcut keys to behave similar to what you might find in other tab-based apps (browsers, Terminal, etc). ⌘W closes the current tab and W closes the window (although doesn't actually cause you to leave any of the rooms you're in).

A couple other users have mentioned that they'd prefer the alternative (where ⌘W closes the window), but it hasn't been something that risen to the top of our UX priorities so far. You can view / comment / vote on the suggestions at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-2442 or https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-2000.

Incidentally, if you ever close a tab by accident, you can always use the ⌘T shortcut (or File > Reopen Last Chat from the menu) to reopen it.

Hi Christopher, did you read the biography of Steve Jobs? If not, do it. 

not to aggravate you – but it explains that the devil is in the details.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Friday in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

142 views 1 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you