Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install HipChat as war on Linux SuSE SLES 11

S. Piller January 9, 2017

Hi Community,

I'd like to evaluate HipChat for my firm. But I'm a bit surprised that there is no *.war file anywhere (nor any prepackaged Tomcat build), only *.ova files. 

I would prefer to deploy a webapp in an app/servlet container (let's say Tomcat...), like most of other Atlassian products. 

On the download page https://www.hipchat.com/downloads, I've found the procedure to install it on Linux using aptitude. But how to do the same on SuSE SLES 11 (zypper)? 

Giving me an *.ova file is a pain 1) to deploy (our ops guys don't like that...), 2) to backup (backuping the whole server is not very efficient) and 3) to maintain (I love being able to update my container separately from my webapp, in case a security fix is released, and so I don't need to upgrade my whole installation, just my container)

Any infos or ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Arbi Dridi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2017

Hey there!

Here's our official answer on a stand-alone installer for HipChat Server.

Unfortunately, this is not possible for the time being. I encourage you to up-vote https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-312 to support HipChat Server deployment as a Docker container. 

Thanks. 

S. Piller January 9, 2017

OK, if I understand, there is no chance to see a completely customizable installation one day? A docker image is not really what I need... I need a webapp smile 

For me it sounds a bit strange, you explain "These real-time resources are important because of the many services that HipChat Server runs in parallel" but I don't understand how a such simple service as a "chat" could take more resources or need a more powerfull realtime engine than a full-featured application like JIRA or Confluence... I don't need video or audio, I only need public chatrooms and private chats so... If you really connect thousands of audio/video enabled users, then I may understand, but basic needs for most little to medium firms would only be to connect a few dozens users at the same time...

Anyway, I accept your answer but don't really understand it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events