If you update your Mention name, Chat clears

Hello,

We're started to use this application but when we go into our profile and reset our mention name to something else, the chat window clears completely. This appears to me like  bug, maybe someone can look into this.

4 answers

1 accepted

Retention set to None was the issue here, it's not like skype :)

This also happens when you lose your connection, I had a blackout and when I got connected, all of my chatrooms emptied out and it just said "It's kind of empty"..  This has to be a bug, It would suck if i just lost bunch of messages important because my connection fluttered. If this is not a bug this may not be the application for our company.

Same happens in web version when you just reload the browser all is gone, it keeps no messages. It's basically clearing as if Im a new player.

0 vote

Hi Steini - it definitely sounds like you're encountering a bug. The room history should not clear when you reconnect (although changing your mention name would trigger your client to reconnect). Can you send a screenshot or video to us at support@hipchat.com with some specific steps so that the support folks can help diagnose the issue or file an issue with the developers if necessary?

Thanks!

I received a message of this Chris, apparently the History retention isn't the same as in Skype, reconnecting like after a connection drop does clear everything. Mention name apparently has you reconnect and it's the same as when my connection drops, so I set the retention to 30 days and now everything retains in the screen. I am just so use to the Skype version where even if my connection drops I don't come to a clean blank when it gets back on :)

So that is the lesson here, Retention for 30 days and I am safe :)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

114 views 3 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you