I was typing a long message in HipChat, and HipChat suddenly made the text field for me to type in several sizes larger, which minimizes my ability to see other messages. I see no way to return that text field to its normal size.

monica.bowen March 7, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Changing the Size of the Text Area Custom Field

I was typing a long message in HipChat, and HipChat suddenly made the text field for me to type in several sizes larger, which minimizes my ability to see other messages. I see no way to return that text field to its normal size.

4 answers

4 votes
Bill S_ September 25, 2017

I just had this problem and I was able to solve it by typing another multi-line message (eg. multiple lines with just the letter 'a' on them).  Then I put my cursor at the end and pressed backspace.  As I deleted the lines, the text area shrunk back down to the correct height of 1 line.

Leif Olson August 21, 2018

I see this post is almost a year old, but I just had this exact same problem and this method worked perfectly to fix it.

Thanks!

1 vote
monica.bowen March 16, 2017

As you can see, it's been more than a week since I had that problem. I couldn't wait that long for a fix. I did remove all text from that field, but it did not return to normal size. When I tried to message with other users, the field remained too big and hid other information I needed to see. I had to close/sign out of HipChat and re-open to see it return to its normal size. 

crivers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2017

Hi Monica - sorry for the delayed response in suggesting a fix. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you have a major usability issue I would recommend contacting our support team directly by going to https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ - that way you'll be added to a queue of tickets and hopefully get a response in much less than week!

As for bug testing, we do regularly bug test any changes we make to the service or the clients, but unfortunately this particular one hasn't come up in the past or hasn't been reproducible during our tests sad If you happen to notice it again, we greatly appreciate any any details or reproduction steps that you can provide (you can either contact via the link above or send email directly to support@hipchat.com)

0 votes
monica.bowen March 16, 2017

Atlassian should be doing their own testing, finding and fixing their own bugs, but that doesn't seem to happen nearly enough.

0 votes
crivers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2017

If the text field is large, you should be able to shrink it back to normal size by removing any text inside it (CMD-A, DLEETE on Mac or CTRL-A, DELETE on Windows). If that doesn't work then you may have found a bug. If you contact support@hipchat.com they can file it for you so that it can get addressed by a developer. In the meanwhile, if you send a message the input should return to normal size. If that doesn't work, I'd recommend leaving and rejoining the room and/or restarting the client in order to return the input to the default state. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events