• Community
  • Products
  • Hipchat
  • Questions
  • I am trying to create a private based chat so our clients and customers can not see each others contact details in this possible?

I am trying to create a private based chat so our clients and customers can not see each others contact details in this possible?

Hi i am looking to use Hip Chat app for our business where we can allow clients and customers to join with no contact information to be seen like private chat on our network, they can not communicate privately with each other only in the chat room they have been invited by admin/owner, obviously the owner and admin can manage and see every one and there details, is this some thing that can be done as we are looking for a private chat as we wish to have a rooms full with our customers and suppliers but they share and discuss information however unless they type there contact details there is no way for them to find out there contact details. 

1 answer

2 votes

Have you tried setting up rooms with guest access enabled? That would allow you to invite people to your group, while limiting their access to a single room at a time.

Hope it helps! 

One thing to be aware of though is that chat history will not persist for a guest user after he or she leaves the room and then comes back into it. All messages they write in session 1 will be gone in session 2. And when they start session 2, they will not see any previous messages from other users, they'll be starting new every time.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

125 views 3 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you