Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use curl to add file to hipchat

ckienast March 21, 2017

Im trying to upload a file to a specific HipChat room as an attachment.

I cant seem to figure out the syntax using the API help.

Tried so many:

curl  -i -X POST -H 'Content-Type: text/plain' -F "file=@filename" <URL>/v2/room/<roomID>/notification?auth_token=<auth_token>

2 answers

1 vote
crivers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2017

I think the API you're looking for is the /share/file API. The one you mention above is actually just for text-based notifications. The example on the API documentation shows the format that's expected (using multipart/related Content-Type).

0 votes
Nick Weltha May 2, 2017

I've done searches online and it's quite difficult to find documentation on how to simply send a file to rooms via curl. The /share/file API seems considerably complicated compared to how easy the old API was.

Oddly enough, though, hubot seems to send images without any difficulty, yet if you try to write a coffeescript to send the same images, it's quite difficult. There's a little bit of help in their xmpp documentation here, but it's not enough:
https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/wiki/display/HCDEV/HipChat+XMPP+Protocol+Documentation#HipChatXMPPProtocolDocumentation-Room(new)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events