How to use curl to add file to hipchat

Im trying to upload a file to a specific HipChat room as an attachment.

I cant seem to figure out the syntax using the API help.

Tried so many:

curl  -i -X POST -H 'Content-Type: text/plain' -F "file=@filename" <URL>/v2/room/<roomID>/notification?auth_token=<auth_token>

2 answers

1 vote

I think the API you're looking for is the /share/file API. The one you mention above is actually just for text-based notifications. The example on the API documentation shows the format that's expected (using multipart/related Content-Type).

I've done searches online and it's quite difficult to find documentation on how to simply send a file to rooms via curl. The /share/file API seems considerably complicated compared to how easy the old API was.

Oddly enough, though, hubot seems to send images without any difficulty, yet if you try to write a coffeescript to send the same images, it's quite difficult. There's a little bit of help in their xmpp documentation here, but it's not enough:
https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/wiki/display/HCDEV/HipChat+XMPP+Protocol+Documentation#HipChatXMPPProtocolDocumentation-Room(new)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 19, 2018 in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

14,703 views 4 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you