Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to provide a custom notification sound

Jim Jacobs June 1, 2016

I find the default sound rather subtle and low for my ears even with the Loud option selected.

I've found (and replaced) the following file on Win10 but without affect:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\HipChat\localweb/assets/audio/notify.mp3

How do I accomplish changing the default sound?

I'm running the native Win10 app, not the web version.

It would be great if this were a customizable option.

Thanks for any advice

Jim

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jer Villanueva
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2016

Hey @Jim Jacobs and @CA [DiscoverEquip.com], you're both really close! In that same folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\HipChat\localweb\assets\audio\), instead of the notify.mp3 file, replace the notify.ogg file. Let me know if that doesn't work.

PS A quick side note about the "Loud" option. That doesn't describe how loud the notification sound itself is, but rather how often HipChat notifies you. "Loud" notifications means you'll get the notifications for every single message, not just for mentions that include you.

Cheers!

Jim Jacobs June 6, 2016

Worked great once I converted my mp3 to an ogg file.

I used http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-ogg but it looks like there's a bunch out there.

This has improved my HipChat experience tremendously since I can now hear the notifications much better.

Thanks

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2016

Thank you Jer!  Much appreciated!

0 votes
Jim Jacobs June 2, 2016

Hi Cody,

I added the attached wav file (and renamed it to notify.wav) to both the HipChat4 root folder as well as the /localweb/assets/audio folder.  There was no notify.wav in either of these locations.

Neither worked.

Any other suggestions?  This shouldn't be so difficult sad

Jim

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2016

Hmmm.  Stupid question, but are you restarting your client between changes?

I know this used to work in earlier versions of the client, but something may have changed recently.  I'll see if I can find a solution.

Jim Jacobs June 2, 2016

Yes, I have restarted the client.

In fact, when it didn't work, I actually restarted Windows.

No luck.

Thanks for investigating.

JIm

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2016

Hey Jim!

Two things to try.  One, try using a WAV file instead of an MP3.  And two, try replacing this file, if it exists:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\HipChat\notify.wav

Good luck!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events