Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to listen for private messages?

Nishant March 15, 2017

I'm trying to build a bot for Hipchat. 

I understand to listen for messages in a room, I have to register a webhook for the 'room_message' event.

I would also like users to be able to interact with the bot one-on-one through private messages with the bot. If I understand correctly, I have to create a new user and send PM's to other users on this user's behalf.

What I can't figure out is how I would listen for private messages to this bot user. Could you point me in the right direction, please? Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
crivers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2017

Unfortunately, it's not currently possible to listen to 1-1 through the normal API v2 addon interface. This is a feature that we definitely want to add in the future, but don't currently have it on a timeline.

One alternative if you want to create a bot is to use the XMPP interface directly: https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchatkb/using-bots-in-hipchat-753404057.html. There are a bunch of frameworks that help support that flow, but in general future development has trended toward expanding the official API vs adding XMPP support. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events