How to get native Notifications back?

I recently updated from HipChat 2.2 to Hipchat 4 Client, because the last Serverupgrade was not compatible with the old version anymore.

But HipChat4 fails to some degree. Native notifications have been replaced by an App exclusive notification system, which is not helpful at all, gets in the way, distracts my workflow and looks alien. Linux does have a native notification infrastructure, please use it, like you did in version 2!

So my questions goes like this: Is it possible to activate native notifications in linux somehow? Is there source code for the client I can change and compile the client on my own?

If that's not possible, where can I add a feature request to get native notifications back?

Can anybody suggest an alternative chat program that supports Rooms and Chats from HipChat servers?

1 answer

0 vote

Hi, at the moment it's not possible to activate native notifications in linux, nor compiling the client on your own.

There's a Feature request for that and you can find it at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-387. You can watch it to receive further notifications, vote for it and/or write a comment.

You can also find there 2 workarounds to get the HipChat web app running as an application separate from your web browser, with native notifications:

- HipChat Electron, an unofficial wrapper application.
- The HipChat web app works in Gnome Web (Epiphany), but only if you accept third-party cookies. In Preferences, on the Privacy tab, change Cookies to “Always accept”. You can then choose Save As Web Application from the menu.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Ana

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 19, 2018 in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

14,703 views 4 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you