How to force email notifications when nobody in room responds to chat within X min

For an internal production support room that has a response time of, let's say three minutes, is it possible to force HipChat to send an email notification to an email group under these conditions:

1. A chat message is entered in the Prod Support room
  2. No message is sent in response (ie. by any person other than the sender) within 3 minutes

My understanding is that hipChat doesn't send email notifications to room members and, during normal circumstances, this is a good thing. There are times when it would be useful if a rapid response team isn't monitoring HipChat as closely as we'd like.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 vote

Interesting idea. It is possible to develop an add-on that would provide this functionality.

How would you distinguish a question in a room vs a normal message to participants (or maybe a clarification for the previous question)? Who would you want to notify? everyone in the room? I guess a lot of those answers will depend on your particular usecase and if/what other systems you use for prod support (e.g. JIRA Service Desk).

cc @shihab hamid

Thanks for the response. 

Thinking about this it's hard to distinguish activity that constitutes a meaningful response rather than a continuous series of "hello", "anybody there?" etc messages. I think it would be useful to have the concept of a "room manager" which can be any person in the room and can be changed by the users from time to time. We would assign the current on-call engineer to be the Production Support room manager for that shift. Then the algorithm would be:

A. if a message is posted into the room from someone who is NOT the room manager,

AND

B. the room manager does not post a message within X minutes,

THEN

C. send a private HipChat alert to the room manager (which will result in an email notification).

This works until the room manager is involved in a callout problem and is well aware of the problem but doesn't have time to respond to HipChat as she/he is too busy working on the solution. I think one stacked alert reminder doesn't do much harm, but possibly there's a way for the room manager to give an "I'm aware" indication to HipChat that lasts for, say 30 minutes, to prevent this unnecessary alert.

The workaround is currently to tell everyone in the organization "XX is the current on-call engineer. If you need production support help don't just message the prod support room, also send a private message to XX so that s/he'll get an email alert from HipChat" - or words to that effect.

(My original wording wasn't really accurate: it's not that the rapid response team isn't monitoring HipChat as closely as we'd like but it's more to give some reasonable breathing space to the on-call person, knowing that he/she will receive an email if someone sends a message to the room and there's no response within x minutes.)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

115 views 3 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you