Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit posts in HipChat?

Dwight Spearman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 3, 2017

How do I edit posts in HipChat without going to the web and going to history?  Can I not do it in the desktop app on the fly?

3 answers

2 votes
Vladimir Yakimov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2017

You can edit you last message within one minute of sending it.

Use command:

s/<original text>/<edited text>

eg. message sent is:

I've make a mistake

s/make/made

outcome: I've made a mistake

Or you can delete:

s/message text/

danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2017

There isn't a one minute limitation anymore. But you can only edit your last sent message.

Vladimir Yakimov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2017

@Daniel Navarro good to know that. Indeed no limit anymore, just tested it:) thanks

danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2017

Cool, glad that helped (thumbsup)

Also, Dwight or others may be interested in this page that shows all the keyboard shortcuts and slash commands. https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchat/keyboard-shortcuts-and-slash-commands-749385232.html

Nemanja Cosovic
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 26, 2017

Why not just use the same logic Skype did?

Simple arrow up on keyboard and you can edit entire last message. Its very natural and intuitive way of editing messages.

Also, provide a timestamp with "Edited on: " so that the chat room would be aware of this.

Mark Schultheiss
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 6, 2018

Or just use Slack which has way better editing?

Like Funimation EDISupport likes this
1 vote
Eric Roller July 10, 2018

wow, so hipchat thinks everyone likes using sed? slack is killing it

1 vote
Alexander Zhak
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 28, 2018

How to edit a message which contains slash characters? For example, I tried to edit TEXT and misspelled command: /s/TEXT/ ... What should I type to remove text "/s/TEXT/"?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events