How to build an extension without being forced to make our servers available from outside.

We try to migrate an application we used with Slack to work with Hipchat. The application runs behind the firewall, so the callbackUrl  (mentioned on https://developer.atlassian.com/hipchat/tutorials/building-an-add-on-with-your-own-technology-stack) is not reachable from outside.

The callbackUrl in the descriptor seems to be optional - so at least the descriptor is shown as valid without providing a callbackUrl.

But where can I get the oauth id  and get/change the oauth secret ?

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

First, a few questions...

1. Are you using HipChat Cloud or Server?
  2. What will your add-on do?

If you're porting from Slack, I'm guessing you'd like to build a slash command that sends notifications back into a room. If that's correct, then you can actually build an add-on that doesn't require an oauth token. You can simply send a reply back to the webhook HipChat fires to you.

Re: making your servers available from the outside... if you're using HipChat Server, then you can run everything inside your firewall as long as HipChat Server has access to your service.

This widget could not be displayed.
  1. We're using HipChat cloud
  2. Our addon allows to include chat messages in a global search.  So it must be executed in the security context of different users. AFAIK that's only possible with OAuth2.

So I "only" need to get the oauth id and secret in the web interface. But I can't find it. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

368 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you