How secure are hipchat conversation transactions?

Hi, 

Does anybody have a good resource explaining the security surrounding Hipchat conversations?

I would like to know if each conversation transaction (if intercepted by a bad person) is readable at all (Group or one to one). 

Is there any part of the conversation that is readable?  i.e participant names, conversation identifiers, room names, organisation names etc. 

HIpchat for us, is tied into JIRA and some users receive status updates in Hipchat when a JIRA issue changes state.  The notification is usually in the form of a ticket (web link).

Any help with this is much appreciated.

2 answers

2 votes

All chat and file communication for HipChat is done over SSL/TLS, which means it's unreadable in transit. Even if someone were to be listening in on your connection, they would only see meaningless, encrypted data.

Hi,  Can I get a little more help on this one please?  

Question 1 - Can Hipchat server for Linux (64 bit) be configured only to accept connections from clients/browsers using TLS 1.1 and above?

Question 2 - Can Hipchat server be configured to only accept connections from a client (so not browser based connections)?

Would really appreciate some help on this. 

Thanks 

Jat

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

506 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you