How do I paste text instead of an image?

When I copy text from a word processor or spreadsheet and attempt to paste it in HipChat, it shows up as an image. How do I paste text?

2 answers

1 accepted

Hi Ben,

Three things usually influence how things are pasted in HipChat Mac - the program from which you are copying, the HipChat Mac version and the macOS version. Can you be more specific about these?

Historically, we've had similar issues with copy&paste, but I believe we've ironed out since. I just tested:

• copy from pages, numbers, word (v14) and excel (v14)
  • paste in HipChat mac, version 4.28.1 (latest official) and 4.29.0 (currently on beta)
  • on the latest macOS 10.12.2

and in all these cases the result was pasted as a text. So, I would love to understand more about the conditions under which you are experiencing this issue. Alternatively, you can also get in touch with HipChat support. Thanks!

Thanks for the info Nikolay. I am using LibreOffice on Mac OS 10.11.6. Copying from a text document works as expected. Copying from a spreadsheet and pasting in HipChat 4.29.0 results in an image being pasted.

I worked around it by pasting into a text editor (BBEdit) first, then copying and pasting from the text editor to HipChat.

1 vote

I'm not sure whether this applies to all platforms, but on Windows you can use the Ctrl+Shift+V keyboard shortcut (instead of the default Ctrl+V) to enforce a paste of plain text rather than more advanced formats that might be available on the clipboard right now.

• This also works with many other applications btw. - quite some of those also explicitly expose this 'Paste as plain text' alternative via the context menu (e.g. Chrome), but HipChat doesn't, unfortunately (at least on Windows).

Unfortunately this does not work on Mac OS

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Maarten Cautreels
Published Oct 07, 2017 in Hipchat

Bringing Structure to your HipChat Instance

...have mention name FirstnameLastname. Fe.: @MaartenCautreels This certainly helps to know who is being mentioned in a conversation. Imagine your colleague sends the following message...

470 views 1 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot