Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get notifications when I receive a private message

Solitonman July 14, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Get and set notifications

I'm using HipChat and the biggest drawback I see is that I do not receive notifications if I have a room selected in the desktop app on Windows, for example, and someone sends me a private message.  In fact, it seems as though the only time I get a notification is if I've selected the room in which the message appeared. 

Is there any way to configure HipChat so that the taskbar icon will flash whenever I get a message in ANY room or from ANY person?  Because that's really what I need to make this useful.  Otherwise people send me messages and I don't see them for minutes or hours.

1 answer

1 vote
Dustin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2016

Hi Dave,

Just to clarify, you are saying you would like the taskbar to flash even when you are actively using HipChat, or that the taskbar is not flashing when focus is not on the window and you receive a notification?  If it's the former, I just verified that unfortunately Windows does not support flashing of the taskbar when the window has active focus as it contrary to Windows default behavior.  You can see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms679347(v=vs.85).aspx for reference. 

Thanks,

Dustin

Solitonman July 14, 2016

Hi Dustin,

Thank you for taking the time to answer. 

It's the latter.  When I don't have focus on HipChat, and a message comes in in a room I don't have selected before I moved focus off HipChat, I don't get a notification.  I only get a notification when a message arrives, focus is not on HipChat, but the room in which the message arrives was selected prior to HipChat losing focus.

My goal is to have HipChat provide a notification whenever I get a message in any room or from any person, when HipChat does not have focus.

Thanks!

Dave

Parker Hotchkiss
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2016

Hello Dave,

Would you be willing to open a Support ticket with us, so that Dustin and I can take a closer look here? We'd love to work with you to at least make sure things are working as designed, and can hash out some functionality suggestions if need be! Feel free to reference my name (Parker) in the ticket so I can grab it!

Kind regards,
Parker
HipChat Support Engineer | Atlassian

Solitonman July 15, 2016

Hi Parker,

I'd be willing, how do I go about doing that?  I haven't had to do one in quite a while that I can recall.

BTW - I work with a guy named Jeff Hotchkiss here at Penn State, any relation?  smile

Thanks!

Dave

Parker Hotchkiss
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2016

My apologies on not having a link there, Dave! This should take you right to the ticket submission page for HipChat, after logging in with your Atlassian ID: https://support.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/32/create/254

Not aware of a direct relation to Jeff over there at Penn State, but we Hotchkiss' seem few and far enough between that surely we can't be too distant!

Kind regards,
Parker
HipChat Support Engineer | Atlassian

Solitonman July 15, 2016

OK, so I did more testing with my team and I was finally able to isolate my problem.  I did not have the "Notify me for 1-to-1 messages" options selected in my settings.  :/  Once I selected that, I did start to receive the notifications I was expecting.

Sorry for the trouble, thank you for taking the time to address my concerns!

Regards,

Dave

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events