How do I completely delete a 1: 1 chat room?

How do I completely delete a 1:1 chat room?

I can delete a few messages, but I want to leave the chat room completely because there are too many messages.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Jeremy Mooiman Community Champion Nov 02, 2017

Dear hansujeong,

This is indeed very much possible when you are talking about Hipchat Rooms. 1 on 1 chat however.. is a totally different story. There is no way currently to purge the entire chat history of a 1 on 1 chat with the click of a button.

Managing rooms

Rooms come and go, and their purpose might change over time. Room admins and group admins can rename, archive, delete rooms, and more. 

If you're an admin you can log in to HipChat in your browser and head to Group Admin > Rooms.  

If you're the room admin, you can either log in to HipChat in your browser and go to the Rooms tab, or head for the Room Actions option in the HipChat web or desktop app (it looks like or ).  

Here are some tips for managing HipChat rooms:

• If a room isn't needed, but you want to maintain the chat history you can archive it. 
  • If a room isn't needed, and you want to discard the chat history you can delete it.
  • If you want to open up a private room or make a room private, you can change the privacy settings.
  • If the purpose of the room changes, you can rename it.

Deleting messages and files shared in 1-to-1 chats

1. Log in to HipChat in your browser and go to the People tab.
  2. Click the name of the person with whom you've had 1-to-1 chats.
  3. Click View your chat history with (their name).
  4. Search or browse for the message or file you want to delete.
  5. Hover over the message or file, then click  on the left.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Mar 26, 2018 in Hipchat Data Center

Migration of Hipchat server to Data Center - a retrospective

Background While our Hipchat server environment was reliable and performing well, as a significant and growing part of our business, the need to leverage the benefits of Hipchat Data Center&nbs...

458 views 2 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you