Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I Delete and or Edit Messages and Files in Hipchat

Kristin Ingram July 19, 2018

How to delete a message you sent in a private group chat.

I tried going to the history and view the message then delete it, but the "x" button doesn't pop up to delete it.

I can't get it to delete any of my message even the ones that are not private. Is there a setting I need to adjust?

5 answers

0 votes

Okay, do you have a limited time to do this with the slash commands? and can you do this in a group, even after someone has replied to the group after your post you want to delete?

0 votes
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2018

Yes, but it is sort of jedi mind trick :)

You can edit HipChat messages using Slash commands. You can navigate HipChat, add styling to your text, and edit messages all by using slash commands. Here are examples of a few use cases.

• For editing sent messages or replacing keywords:

Original message – Is anybody heer ready to take a break for lunch?

You can correct it by typing - s/heer/here

• For deleting sent messages: Similarly, you can delete a message by editing the original message with a single blank space. For example, if you want to delete the complete original message instead of correcting ‘heer’ to here’ you could write s/heer/ . After the last slash, you'd insert one blank space which replaces the full sentence or paragraph.
0 votes

Can I edit the message?

0 votes

Is this the case for all my messages? Even the chats I have one-on-one?

0 votes
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2018

In that case contact your admin. He has disabled this permission.

If you are the admin check https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchat/change-who-can-do-what-747831660.html to enable the permission.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events