How do I Delete and or Edit Messages and Files in Hipchat

mattervr-moliver February 8, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Delete messages and files

Trying to Delete Messages and Files in Hipchat.  I have logged in as admin but am unable to see any History buttons as referenced by the documentation.  Anyone have a screenshot or video they can share?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2017

Based on the document you referenced, I'm thinking you want to delete messages from history. The Delete function is a bit hidden, sorry about that. Here is a video that should answer your question.

https://www.screencast.com/t/bTOplgdvMa

danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2017

Hi Michael, any chance you can edit the summary line of your question to make it more discoverable by other people looking for the same info? The label you added for "delete messages and files" is great, and maybe that is good enough. But perhaps others in your same situation will find the question and answer easier if it the summary was ~ "How do I delete messages?" Not even sure it's possible to edit the summary line though. Thanks!

mattervr-moliver February 9, 2017

No Problem. Updated.

Thanks for the screencast. Works great!

But that is a really really really terrible user experience. 

I should be able to do it from the main hipchat window using the '...' next to a message or some other direct way to either delete or edit a message. Having to search to bring up the message and then go to another history view is really cumbersome and non-intuitive.

danny
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2017

I definitely hear ya Michael. Sorry about it. We appreciate the feedback and we're working hard to deliver the best user experience possible. 

Rakesh Gupta February 11, 2017

I am still not able to see that cross yet, can someone help? This is pathetic user experience.. A simple functionality takes so much of time

Mike Cleveland February 20, 2017

Is this REALLY the only way to delete a message? I mean seriously? I would really encourage you to look at Slack's message delete capability and attempt to copy it somehow. Because wow, this is nearly unbelievable. 

Olga Borshchegovska April 13, 2017

110% agree with Mike Cleveland, it's unacceptable that you can't easily delete the message, or edit, look at slack

Deleted user June 19, 2017

+1.  This is 1 of the main reasons we are on Slack and not HipChat.

Zachary King November 9, 2017

seriously, this is insane.  AND it doesn't work - I don't have the X available on the messages I want to delete.

Fixt it already FFS.

1 vote
Deleted user April 18, 2017

Not only is the Delete function hidden, and requires too many steps to reach, but it doesn't work properly.

I use the Linux app for HipChat.... deleting a message in the browser history thing does not remove the message from the app screen.  The only way to clear it is to close the app and re-open.

It's utterly stupid.

Michael Rother June 16, 2017

Adding to this: Editing messages does not work as advertised in the Linux app, either. :/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events