Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change the room admin for a room?

Sloan Looney July 8, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Chat in rooms

I'm trying to following the instructions for changing the room admin of a room.  I don't see a "rooms tab" in my browser or desktop version of HipChat.  

It also doesn't appear in the screenshot on this very page.

Is there another way to change (or add more than one) room admin?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2016

The rooms tab you're looking for is in the HipChat website, not the chat app. Here is a quick video that shows the entire flow of changing a room's admin. Hope it helps.

http://screencast.com/t/lh6KuonELJY

Sloan Looney July 11, 2016

This worked!  

I didn't appreciate the difference between the website vs the web app.  The key is to avoid clicking on the large "Launch the Web App" button and instead look at the menus on that page.

Note that the room admin setting UI implies there can be plural "admins", but I don't see any way to select more than one. 

danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2016

You're not able to add multiple room admins? I just walked through it and it worked for me.

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 2.17.47 PM.png

Hopefully that works for you as well.

Also, would you mind updating the title of this question to something along the lines of "How do I change room admin?" so that other people looking for the same help will have a better chance of finding this question and answer? Thanks!!

danny
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2016

Whoops! Spoke too soon Sloan, sorry. It looks like the multiple room admin option is not publicly available right now. So you will be limited to one room admin per room. Sorry for that confusion.

0 votes
tjkarl July 11, 2016

Good morning. An admin is an admin. There are no room admins per se. With a login, you are either a "User" or an "Admin". To answer your questions, the user tab displays the user type of each user.

Sloan Looney July 11, 2016

This is not true.  There is a room admin for each room, usually the creator.  See the accepted answer.  

HipChat admins are different animals and are presumably IT folks at larger companies.  I don't know any of them and wouldn't want to bother them with room admin issues.  We have hundreds if not thousands of rooms and probably only a 1-2 HipChat admins.

tjkarl July 13, 2016

Thank you for setting me straight, Sloan. As Group admin for our company, I just learned that a "room admin" is, by default, the person who creates the room. I have never had to "administer" room admins before so I didn't know they exist. I suppose a room admin controls the privacy settings. Is there anything else he/she controls?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events