How can I backup/restore HipChat server?

Tom Jackson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2014

I'm in the process of installing HipChat server (1.0.4 beta) on a dev box. We have a requirement for on-prem apps that we can take backups of the database and restore from backups. I see that HipChat using mysql and that you can take a backup from an admin UI, but I don't see any mention of how to perform a restore. I also don't see any mention of how to connect to the database. Any suggestions on how to perform a backup/restore?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Maye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2014

Hi Tom,

I'm afraid there isn't a simple solution to restoring backups into HipChat Server right now. A solution will be developed, but nothing is set in the current beta. The backup in the webUI is for message backup and does not (currently) export files or 1-1 chats, or even Server configuration data.

We recommend doing a virtualization based backup (either VM snapshots or export) until the HC Server exporter is completed. A quick Google search should offer more information on how to do both.

Cheers,
-David

1 vote
hsuhailah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2015

Hi Thomas,

We have built the tool to backup/restore server in the current version. Here's our official documentation on backing up and restore HipChat Server that you can refer to for details: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/HC/Backing+up+and+restoring+HipChat+Server

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events