How are the HipChat server stats calculated? Edited

HipChat Server provides some statistics for you when you run the following command on the application host:

hipchat stats -w

The output provides these stats:

Active Users: XXXX today, XXXX yesterday
CPU: X% of X cores
Chat Sessions: XXXX now, XXXX peak yesterday
Clock: 2017-08-08 15:19:47 UTC
Configuration Manager: OK
File Attachments: XXXX MB, XX.X% of capacity
Logs: XXXX MB, XX.X% of capacity
Memory: XX.X% of X GB total, X GB cache
Rooms: XXXX active, XXX archived, XXX deleted
Total Messages: XXXXXXX
Total Users: XXXX
Version: Atlassian HipChat X.X.X

Can someone clarify the meaning of "Active Users" and "Chat Sessions" and how they are calculated?

Are "Active Users" those with active sessions? Those that sent messages? How is a chat session defined?

1 answer

0 vote
Ahmad Danial Atlassian Team Aug 09, 2017

Hi there, Joe. Let us break this one down to 2 different points. As far as I know, the values represent the following:

• Active Users:
    • XXX today - The total number of users who have sent at least 1 message as of that moment when the command was executed
    • XXX yesterday - The total number of users who have sent at least 1 message the day before
  • Chat Sessions:
    • XXX now - The total number of active sessions that users are currently connected on when the command was executed
    • XXX peak yesterday - The highest number of sessions that users were connected to yesterday. For example, at 10:00, there were a total of 500 active sessions. At 18:00, a it went up to 1500 active sessions. So, that the information that will be displayed is 1000 peak yesterday

I am in the process to double confirm about this information with the dev team nevertheless.

Ahmad Danial Atlassian Team Aug 23, 2017

Confirmed with the devs that the explanation is accurate, Joe. Let me know if you have adiitional questions on this.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

139 views 3 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you