Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hipchat vs Slack

Jeff-Mangan July 10, 2017

Currently using free version of Slack, need to know what the paid version of hipchat is missing that paid version of Slack offers since we are planning on getting one of them?  Things like like ```code paste here``` and messag pinnning i dont see as supported in slack? Is that true, and what else is missing?  Why would my team of software engineers want to use hipchat over slack?

would also like feedback on these comments from one of my team members:

Slack has a better interface and their features are well displayed and easy to find.
Hipchat appears to have the same amount of features but is clunky and seems like an after thought than full integration.
Slack you can tell spends their time thinking of everything and how to place it so that the features will be used.
Hipchat you have to dig through documentation to find what you need.

Slack has more community support and provides a wealth of awesome third party integrations. Granted, Hipchat has about the same but it lower than Slack.They both have all the major players but Slack has more of the not so common third parties. A lot of open sources tools are integrated with Slack where as not a lot of them for hipchat. The Open Source community tends to gravitate to Slack over Hipchat.

5 answers

0 votes
gil.langelaan October 21, 2019

Sey, double post

0 votes
gil.langelaan October 21, 2019

Hipchat is dead for now, so I'll suggest Slack.

0 votes
Deleted user June 29, 2018

HipChat is missing some features that are MUST-HAVE if you're coming from Slack:

1) Granular notification controls

* In slack , you can configure keywords in each channel that will trigger notifications

* In HipChat, you only get global On, Quiet, and Off

2) Mark messages unread

3) Nicknames for users
* Helps me remember that "HR Joe" is a different guy that "PR Joe"

4) Message reactions (like Facebook "like")

5) Start where I left off

* When you open a channel, it should scroll back to the last message you read

6) Edit sent messages
* So annoying that i can not fix typos or mistyped URL's

Update: Ironically THIS message board does let you EDIT messages after you send them. :-/

0 votes
sienna amelia October 3, 2017

Both Slack and Hipchat are the good communication tool.  Still, it has a separate issue.  For Slack does not have own server, API integration as well Hipchat also having a security issue.  Agreed @Jeff-ManganIn order to segregate the both tools have a look to get better idea on Slack vs Hipchat https://goo.gl/gKFv6P

0 votes
Torben Hoeft July 11, 2017

Well... 

HipChat is not as mature as Slack. There are a lot of missing features in HipChat. I have to say that most of them you won't miss if you don't have a Slack experience. But Slack users miss them.

We use HipChat only because we have to run it behind the firewall due to data security issues. And lots of our engineers are not happy with that.

Jeff-Mangan July 11, 2017

do u know the answer to this?  I made a typo in original post and meant to say hipchat not slack.

Things like like ```code paste here``` and messag pinnning i dont see as supported in **Hipchat**? Is that true, and what else is missing?  Why would my team of software engineers want to use hipchat over slack?

Jeff-Mangan July 11, 2017

We also have firewall issues at one of our other offices.

Torben Hoeft July 12, 2017

There is formatting like code blocks etc. 
You can also manipulate your last post, but a bit tricky. You cannot really edit older posts like in Slack. Also threaded messages are new in Slack now, which doesn't exist in HipChat.

https://blog.hipchat.com/2017/04/28/4-hipchat-features-you-should-be-using/

Don't get me wrong, HipChat is agreat tool. But there will always be someone complaining because there is something "better".

http://technologyadvice.com/blog/information-technology/slack-vs-hipchat-choosing-a-messaging-app-for-your-team/

Like Boobalan likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events