Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hipchat server from OVA does not retain changes in /etc/hosts/ file

Byron Boudreaux May 22, 2018

I am in the process of deploying a HipChat server from the OVA file and when I add the host name to the 127.0.0.1 line in the hosts file, the change does not survive a reboot so during the boot process I see the warning saying "Cannot translate <my_hostname> to FQDN name -- Name or service not known.

Full disclosure...I am not a Linux person.

1 answer

0 votes
Bruno Raymundo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2018

Hi, Byron!

Instead of updating the /etc/hosts file manually, please update the FQDN directly in the web administration interface:

This will ensure the changes are retained after a reboot!

Bruno Raymundo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2018

Hi, Byron!

Please notice that the steps to deploy Hipchat Data Center are different from the steps to deploy Hipchat Server:

Deploying Hipchat Server

That may be the reason for the confusion!

Byron Boudreaux June 12, 2018

Bruno, we want to modify the sources.list to be able to add/update packages.  We can modify it but once we reboot the VM, there must be a Chef cookbook that overwrites the file with an original version.  How can we modify this behavior so that it does not wipe out our changes when the system reboots?

Arbi Dridi
Atlassian Team
June 13, 2018

Hi Byron, 

It's Chef, indeed. Please have a look at How to change files maintained by Chef in Hipchat Server for a workaround. 

Thanks.

Byron Boudreaux June 13, 2018

@Arbi Dridi thanks for the link...will give that a try

@Arbi Dridi the document seems a little misleading from the title.  It does not give me enough information to figure out even where the Chef files are that are controlling the startup environment.  The folder it references /etc/nginx/includes/files-site does not exist on my server.  I have /etc/nginx/includes/web-site.

Arbi Dridi
Atlassian Team
June 13, 2018

Hi Byron, 

The file in the article is only used an example to illustrate how the changes can persist. 

The idea is to create a startup script that will make the needed changes to your file. 

For example, in your case, you'd need a script that makes the change to sources.list.

The article shows where to place the script and what to do to make sure it does what it's intended to. 

If you're looking for the Chef template for sources.list, it's /hipchat-scm/chef-repo/cookbooks/ubuntu/templates/default/localsources.list.erb.
That being said, we do not recommend changing the Chef templates directly. Any changes you make will be reverted by upgrades anyways. 

Thanks. 

@Arbi Dridi gotcha...thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events