Hipchat phone notifications disappear

I'm using HipChat on iOS and OS X (native).

It seems, that when my laptop is turned off, I will get a notification on my phone when I'm mentioned in a room. I might see this notification or I might not see it (sometimes I unlock before I read through all the notifications, e.g. when I get a phone call). Now I turn my computer back on. I vaguely remember that I have seen a HipChat notification on my phone. I cannot see any notification / "blue number" on the desktop client, though. Let's check the phone, then.. No notifications in the iOS notification center any more! Ok, let's go thought all the rooms I'm in on the desktop client. Nothing to be seen..

After asking around the office, I find out that I was mentioned in a room that I did not have open on my desktop client. There was NO WAY I could have found this out via Hipchat's broken notification system!!

Please tell me: (1) how to change this behavior, (2) why this is the default behavior.

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

I agree with this comment.  This is a significant shortcoming that needs to be fixed.  

This is a big problem.  I think this used to work fine for me and not that long ago.  I even remember the day I realized that I could see my HipChat notifications in Notification Center.  "Finally", I thought.

Well, that's gone.

It almost seems like things got worse when I upgraded to Sierra.  Perhaps the notification default behavior changed.

And also an issue with the iPhone app.  Why do I have to play "Guess what room that was?"

I wonder if Slack has these issues.  Hmmm. 

Agreed. This is a major issue with HipChat and needs to be fixed right away.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

420 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you