Hipchat, not pushing @ mentions to mobile.

So, I've had this bite me a few times where there is some time critical thing that needs to be answered.  So people @me to notify.  The problem is that the @'s are not being pushed to my phone. So then the critical mention goes unanswered.  The request is that all @mentions get sent to mobile, regardless of if there is activity or not on the desktop.  It gets too wonky with the logic depending on what window is open, when, and where.  Someone is trying to get my attention, so get my attention by pushing it to my cell.

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

I can see where the frustration could arise here. "Always push notifications, even when active" isn't a setting we've really considered before, but it sounds like there could be a use case for it. Do you generally keep notifications enabled on your desktop client? That could help avoid issues missing mentions. We're also working on recording mentions between chat sessions so that they show up on any client you connect with, which seems like it could help your situation. There's no specific date for release yet, but if you contact us at support@hipchat.com we can probably get you on a list for beta access.

Hi Chris:

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, the always push, even when active would be great.  I don't like to have to manage my status, so I know I could manually mark myself as away, but thats a pain.  If I run into a meeting, lunch, hallway convo, etc, I'd like to get pushes on my phone regardless if its a personal message or an "@mitch".  I can manage the alerts on my phone. (HipChat - vibrate)

I guess what you are talking about would be similar if someone @'s me in another room, it will be broadcast in all windows.  I think there should be a distinction between group @'s and specific people.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

405 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you