Hipchat basic chat history

Will room history disappear if you don't continue a hipchat plus subscription? I see a warning about keeping chat history by upgrading to hipchat plus.

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Without the Plus subscription, your history viewing and searching will be limited to the last 25,000 messages. For small groups (<20 people) this usually averages out to a month or so of chat (your mileage may vary). For large groups, it may only be a day or two.

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi @Chris Rivers, we have a basic plan, and have been using it for the last two months. However, we can now only see about the last 20-30 messages, certainly nowhere near the 25,000 you mention. Where have our chat history gone to? Can we get them back?

Thanks.

@Eddie Ridwan If you view the history on the web, does it show up? (Go to jmslombok.hipchat.com/rooms, choose the room you want, and select "History" from the left side). It's possible there is some issue with the client displaying the messages or perhaps there have been deleted messages, which can mess with how many messages the client shows on initial load. You could try shrinking your client enough to make the scrollbar appear and then scrolling up to load more history. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest sending an email to support@hipchat.com and they can help you in more detail than on here.

@Chris Rivers , yes I can view the history, thanks. I think the problem is the slow internet connection we have here, so that when I scroll up to view previous messages, there do not download (or very very slow to download). I have confirmed that I can see the previous message on other clients (phone). However, we do find that it is very hard to load HipChat when the internet connection is slow.

Thanks for the details... we do have a major update to the desktop clients currently in the works. Hopefully that will improve your experience on a slow connection. Keep an eye out for announcements on the blog or updates in the client :)

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Friday in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

191 views 1 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you