Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hipchat basic chat history

Samson Konakanchi February 22, 2019

I can't see history beyond September 2018. Is there anyway to get chat history from the starting? Is there any limit?

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2019

Hi, @Samson Konakanchi 

The reason behind this could be due to the history retention limit that was set by the administrator of your HipChat Server / Data Center instance based on the official documentation that we have here - Chat history retention settings

May I know if you happen to be one of the admins so we can double check the settings from the web interface to verify this? Also, can I confirm if this is happening to a specific room / 1-1 conversation or in every channel in general? Thanks.

Samson Konakanchi February 26, 2019

Nope, am not an admin. No, this is not happening to a specific room/1-1. I use HipChat Server. 

Is there any way to retain the chat history if my server has history retention limit set?

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2019

Hello, @Samson Konakanchi 

Thank you for the clarification. Since you mentioned that it is happening in general, I have a feeling that a history retention policy is enforced globally across the rooms and 1-1 conversations.

This configuration is accessible through Group Admin >> Preferences which will look something like this:

Screenshot 2019-02-27 at 08.11.12.png

As per your question of retaining the chat history, can I please double confirm if you actually would like to retrieve the chat history? Depending on the setting, it might not no longer available as mentioned in the documentation here:

Hipchat deletes any chat messages, files, and links older than the age you specify (from 7 days to 365 days). For example, if you choose to store 90 days of chat history, Hipchat deletes all messages, files, and links older than 90 days. The deletions happen nightly. 

May I recommend you to reach out to the admin of HipChat Server for now to confirm the chat history retention settings?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events