Hipchat - VBA - MS Access integration

I've been struggling trying to understand how to integrate to HipChat using VBA in MS Access beyond a simple integration that can post messages or notifications to a room that I've created a simple integration for.  I've been able to send messages / notifications using the web site generated URL link with the room specific auth_token.

I want to be able to create and destroy rooms then be able to automatically post messages into those rooms as needed from within the VBA app.  I can't seem to find documentation that CLEARLY explains the processes involved in doing this.  I don't quite understand the different levels of access rights and authentications needed to perform these steps dynamically.  All that I seem to get accomplished is getting a 'forbidden' response back as  I cannot seem to figure out the proper sequence of getting the application access to the api's.

Can someone please point me towards a article or whitepaper that explains the steps involved in order?  Or explain the steps in order to get access to the api to create and manage features through the api's?  The on-line help / tutorials are not very helpful to me in this case.

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Nathan,

I assume you have found the documentation here: https://developer.atlassian.com/hipchat/ . The tricky bit is probably the https://developer.atlassian.com/hipchat/guide/installation-flow and obtaining the token https://developer.atlassian.com/hipchat/guide/hipchat-rest-api/api-access-tokens .  Let us know what you are currently doing and what doesn't work and we will try to help you.

I've been through all of that multiple times and don't understand how to use it with a VBA app where there is no other software involved.  I don't have a webservice / website to install any other code onto to register a callback / addon.  Everything needs to be self contained within my VBA code.

My expectation is that I can use the admin token code that I generated manually on the site (group admin) and use access the group rooms and users. 

The documentation does not include any flow diagrams on setup and access.  Anytime I see something that looks like an example that includes '....' is certainly incomplete when there is no explanation with it.

A flow diagram example is what I'm looking for.

Hi Nathan,

Right, as far as I understand you are looking to script some functionality, rather than having a full blown add-on. For this you  can use personal tokens. You can generate the tokens with the appropriate scopes here.

You most likely generated the old style token under hipchat.com/admin/api which is only applicable to old API(deprecated one). It doesn't work with the new API – hence the "Invalid OAuth session" replies.

Hope it helps.

Yes I tried with the tokens generated on the group api link.  Documentation is so 'clear' that it isn't obvious that this applies only to the V1 API. 

So where do I find the documentation on the V1 API?  I've tried searching the knowledge base and good old Google but it always seems to lead to the V2 documentation.

I think it would be in Atlassian's interests to hire some technical writers to be working on the website information.

Crickets! 

Can anybody tell me the link to the V1 API documentation?  Is there a plan to add the functionality I require into the API V2 or later that won't require another server to be hosting code to support authentication?

Still no one can provide me links to the V1 API documentation for Hipchat? 

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Friday in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

157 views 1 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you