cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hipchat Addon development differences Hipchat Server and Cloud

Jens Kisters __SeibertSolutions
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2017

i have experience in Development of Addons for JIRA Server and Cloud.

In that case there is loads of stuff you can do for JIRA Server, but not for JIRA Cloud.

Are there limitations like that when developing Addons for HipChat Cloud too?

From studying the developer guides i couldnt make out any, did i miss something?

Looking at the marketplace i can see that there are more addons for Cloud than for Server,
is there extra work necessary for server addons or are there limitations? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shanye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2017

Hi Jens,

Full disclosure: I'm not a developer, but I can take a stab at this. smile

The REST interfaces available for HipChat Cloud and HipChat Server are very, very similar to one another at this point. Starting in version 2.0, HipChat Server supports HipChat Connect - the interface introduced to HipChat Cloud in late 2015 (more on that in this blog post).

HipChat Cloud has existed for longer than HipChat Server, which accounts for the greater number of addons, and the majority of what's currently available were built as Internet-hosted API endpoints/services. Under that model, the main concession for HipChat Server is allowing for a configurable callback URL so the addon can communicate with unique, Internet-accessible HipChat Server FQDNs, rather than hard-coding to talk to HipChat Cloud.

It's very possible for HipChat Server deployments to be cut off from Internet access, so if you can come up with a way to self-host or locally install the addon, you should have all bases covered.

t_aptis January 25, 2017

Not bad for a non-developer smile

Just kidding, thanks a lot!

Jens Kisters __SeibertSolutions
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2017

Whoops wrong account

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events