HipChat white screen

HipChat randomly stopped working one day, and when I rebooted my Windows PC, the HipChat screen became white and blank. I tried reinstalling HipChat, but the same issue occurs.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

Hi Michael,

Could you try to add --disable-gpu in the parameter following this KB:

Let me know how it goes.

My HipChat is doing this also and I don't have any of the video cards mentioned in the confluence doc. I tried putting the "--disable-gpu" and that did not work.

Hi Andrew,

May I know your HipChat client version and Os? Additionally, if needed feel free to raise a support ticket with us, we'd be happy to troubleshoot this issue further

My HipChat version is 4.30.1665 and my OS is Windows 10 Pro. I just updated my HipChat client, could that be the issue?

I'm not sure why this is marked resolved.  The Confluence doc referenced by the Atlassian response did not address the OP's issue, which was a completely white screen, not an immediate error message as indicated by the Confluence doc.  Also, a subsequent poster has the same issue, which is not resolved by the Confluence doc, as do I.

My instance of the issue seems to have immediately followed a Windows 10 Feature Update.  When I launch the Windows HipChat client, all I see is a completely white window.  Reboots of the computer and reinstallation of the client had no effect; the issue persists.  No errors are raised in the UI whatsoever; not sure about logs.  At this point the client is completely useless.  Although I can use the web client, I prefer the native client, but it looks to me like Atlassian has some work to do to stay out in front of changes from Redmond.

Shayne Covey Atlassian Team Dec 11, 2017

Hi Carl,

It looks like Syahrul might have used that knowledge base article as a source of instructions for setting the client startup parameter - not necessarily because it was a direct fit for the behavior the original poster reported. Even so, the original poster was the one who marked Syahrul's answer as accepted.

The --disable-gpu flag can help with quite a few behaviors in the Windows client, including rendering a blank white screen (we had an old bug where this would happen after minimizing the client), but it's easy to see why this wouldn't be readily apparent to everyone.

Since we'll need to gather more information (log files, OS diagnostics, etc.) to understand the issue you're facing, I've opened a support ticket for you to do some troubleshooting. You should be getting an email to create an account in our support system.

I hope that helps!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

114 views 3 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you