HipChat webhook when room created

Is it possible to programmatically get called back (e.g. webhook) when a room is created?

Thanks,

Martin.

3 answers

1 vote

Hi Martin and Charly,

you can now register for room_created webhook: https://www.hipchat.com/docs/apiv2/webhooks#room_created . You would need to define the webhook in your capabilities descriptor: https://www.hipchat.com/docs/apiv2/capabilities

Great news, Thanks! Does that apply for any hook? In which case registering for ROOM_MESSAGE in the capabilities descriptor would trigger the webhook for any room, even newly created ones? Update (couldn't reply earlier due posting limitations): it works like a charm! Thanks for the pointer. I now have another question: is it possible to have a globally registered ROOM_MESSAGE hook (via the add-on capabilities descriptor) triggered in a 1-to-1 conversation? I have registered such hook, but it seems to be triggered only in public and private rooms.

Hi Charly, you are right it is not possible to have webhooks in 1-to-1 conversation. This is due to privacy concerns: there is an expectation that your 1-to-1 messages will only be visible to people who are in that 1-to-1 conversation. If you allow add-ons to register webhooks in those 1-to-1 sessions then add-ons can collect all the messages (.*) and violate this expectation. We are considering lifting those restrictions in the future but we want to make sure we do it in a way that does not break customer's expectations.

That's exactly what I though :-) Thanks for the reply!

0 votes

Hi Martin,

We don't have this functionality right now. Would be interested to know in what cases you need it (in case we have workarounds).

Hi - thanks - we want to automate the renaming of new rooms to match a naming scheme. Thanks, M.

I would also need to get notified when a room is created in order to register a new ROOM_MESSAGE webhook on that room. Is there a way to do that?

I basically want to register a ROOM_MESSAGE webhook on each existing room, and maintain that webhook list when a room gets created/deleted/archived/unarchived. Should I manually register all those webhooks (when possible – so far I can only register ROOM_MESSAGE) or is there a better way to achieve that?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 14, 2018 in Hipchat Cloud

Hipchat Cloud and Stride End of Life: Just over 90 days away

Earlier this year we made the difficult decision to discontinue our team messaging tools, Stride and Hipchat. The end of life date for Stride and Hipchat Cloud is quickly approaching - February 15, 2...

555 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you