Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HipChat server on Hyper-V?

Info Support July 24, 2015

Hi,

It is possible to install HipChat server on a Windows based VM which in running on Hyper-V? Reading the system requirements it only supports VMware, VirtualBox and AWS. Why no Hyper-V? And even if it does work with Hyper-V, can we install HipChat on Windows to or should it be Linux?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 vote
roberto cheng October 4, 2017

i converted hipchat 3.0.1 to vhd format for hyper v, do i need to do switch to beta channel and Switch to the latest Xenial Kernel and LIC? Thanks

1 vote
IT Department May 19, 2017

I did the steps and can confirm this works with Hyper-V 2016.

Converted the OVA with VirtualBox. Followed steps provided and had no issues.

1 vote
Bill Appleyard December 16, 2016

I was recently asked how I got HipChat Server running at all on Hyper-V 2012 R2 since it's only available as an OVA. Figured I'd share my procedure here in case anyone else feels like giving it a whirl. Note that this is almost certainly NOT supported by Atlassian and do not recommend this for production environments. Use these instructions at your own risk !

Convert OVA to VHD (x3)

• Install VirtualBox somewhere (I installed it on a win10 machine)
  • Import the OVA
  • Copy the hard drives to a temp folder I used tempvhd
  • delete the virtual machine from Virtualbox
    • Run:
    • vboxmanage clonehd C:\tempvhd\system.vmdk C:\tempvhd\system.vhd --format VHD
    • vboxmanage clonehd C:\tempvhd\chat_history.vmdk C:\tempvhd\chat_history.vhd --format VHD
    • vboxmanage clonehd C:\tempvhd\file_store.vmdk C:\tempvhd\file_store.vhd --format VHD

Might want to make a backup copy of these VHD's so you can use them for other fresh installs later if something goes wrong.

Create the Virtual Machine

• Create a GEN 1 guest on your Hyper-V server: Ideally with 2-4 vCPU's and 8gb of ram (dynamic is ok)
  • Attach the system vhd to IDE0
  • Attach the file_store and chat_history vhd's to the SCSI controller
    • Chat_history on SCSI 1
    • sile_store on SCSI 2
  • Create a checkpoint just in case
  • Fire up the machine and do the initial setup stuff

Switch to the Beta Channel

• Login to HipChat from the guest console or via SSH (admin/hipchat is the default login)
  • Switch to root: sudo /bin/dont-blame-hipchat
  • Set beta channel: hipchat upgrade --channel beta
  • Peform the upgrade: hipchat upgrade --upgrade

Optional: Switch to the latest Xenial Kernel and LIC

(You may have to perform this section after any subsequent "hipchat upgrade --upgrade")

• login and get to root again
  • vi /etc/apt/sources.list
  • Add the following repos at the top (this is only temporary - they will be overwritten by hipchat later):

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty main restricted

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates main restricted

• Update the repos: apt-get update
  • Install the latest kernel: apt-get install --install-recommends linux-virtual-lts-xenial
  • Install the corresponding LIC: apt-get install --install-recommends linux-cloud-tools-virtual-lts-xenial
  • DO NOT DO apt-get upgrade at this point!!!! It would be bad!
  • Perform a normal shutdown/restart

Done!

You should now have a little private HipChat server running with the latest Xenial kernel and LIC components alongside the Ubuntu 14.04 core OS.

Note: You can convert the vhd's to vhdx but be prepared for them to grow significantly in size when you do so.

Tested and 100% Works as of Dec 2016

Dzintars April 28, 2017

Insted of F***G up with Powershell i recomend to use StarWind V2V Image Converter

Works perfectly!

roberto cheng October 4, 2017

i converted hipchat 3.0.1 to vhd format for hyper v, do i need to do switch to beta channel and Switch to the latest Xenial Kernel and LIC? Thanks

0 votes
Nágila Marques
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2015

Hey, there! 

I'm afraid we do not support Hyper-V at the moment. You are correct, we currently only support VMware, VirtualBox and AWS, but you can try to make it work by reading some of the workarounds customers posted at https://help.hipchat.com/forums/230898-hipchat-server/suggestions/6772479-support-for-hyper-v

Yes, you can install it in Windows or Linux. 

Best regards,

Nágila Marques

William Yeack July 10, 2016

Do you have an updated link for that support article?

Christopher Osborne April 6, 2017

Could you provide a working link to suggested workarounds to get working in Hyper-V? 

Also any timeline when Hyper-V will be supported? 

cedric_palluel May 17, 2017

Hello,

Is there any news regarding Hyper-v integration ?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Cédric

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events