HipChat room-specific chat history settings confusion

This page of the HipChat documentation on chat history seems to indicate that it's possible to set room chat history independently from the global chat history retention for the HipChat instance.

I'm struggling on two counts when attempting to admin our HipChat plus account:

1. I have a room that was set not to maintain any history some time ago. When I view that room's contents however, from either the native (Mac) client, or the web app, there is history back to the establishment of our account.
  2. When I view the admin settings for that room in our account (domain.hipchat.com/rooms/show/xxxx) and click the History link on the left, that tab will not load, but what looks like an error message (in red) indicates that 'Chat history retention is disabled for this room'. That would be fine if that was actually the experience, but, as indicated above, that is not the case. Also, if I were to wish to change the retention settings for this same room, I have no interface from which to make that change.

Help?

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Rick,

Can you please contact HipChat Support with information about the history issue you're seeing?

Regarding the second item, to change the retention settings for a room, you need to go to the Group admin menu (Group admin>Rooms>select the room> History retention). The URL should look like domain.hipchat.com/admin/rooms/show/xxxxx

Thanks!

Hi Sabrina, thanks for the comments. However, your comment on the second item was already addressed in my initial post. I can't seem to get to the History Retention screen any longer. As I mentioned, when I click that link, I just see the message indicating 'Chat history retention is disabled for this room', but the screen itself is never displayed. 

Hi Rick,

I think you may not be in the admin menu because your URL (domain.hipchat.com/rooms/show/xxxx) doesn't have "admin" in it. Try selecting Group admin in the top menu bar:

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 2.55.38 PM.png

When you do, your URL should change to "domain.hipchat.com/admin."

Now, browse to the room (Rooms>room name) and you should see a History retention link in the menu, like the one highlighted below:

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 2.03.26 PM.png

If you're not seeing the History retention link here, please let Support know. I hope this info was helpful.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

416 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you