HipChat room-specific chat history settings confusion

Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2015

This page of the HipChat documentation on chat history seems to indicate that it's possible to set room chat history independently from the global chat history retention for the HipChat instance.

I'm struggling on two counts when attempting to admin our HipChat plus account:

1. I have a room that was set not to maintain any history some time ago. When I view that room's contents however, from either the native (Mac) client, or the web app, there is history back to the establishment of our account.
  2. When I view the admin settings for that room in our account (domain.hipchat.com/rooms/show/xxxx) and click the History link on the left, that tab will not load, but what looks like an error message (in red) indicates that 'Chat history retention is disabled for this room'. That would be fine if that was actually the experience, but, as indicated above, that is not the case. Also, if I were to wish to change the retention settings for this same room, I have no interface from which to make that change.

Help?

3 answers

0 votes
Sabrina
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2015

Hi Rick,

I think you may not be in the admin menu because your URL (domain.hipchat.com/rooms/show/xxxx) doesn't have "admin" in it. Try selecting Group admin in the top menu bar:

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 2.55.38 PM.png

When you do, your URL should change to "domain.hipchat.com/admin."

Now, browse to the room (Rooms>room name) and you should see a History retention link in the menu, like the one highlighted below:

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 2.03.26 PM.png

If you're not seeing the History retention link here, please let Support know. I hope this info was helpful.

0 votes
Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2015

Hi Sabrina, thanks for the comments. However, your comment on the second item was already addressed in my initial post. I can't seem to get to the History Retention screen any longer. As I mentioned, when I click that link, I just see the message indicating 'Chat history retention is disabled for this room', but the screen itself is never displayed. 

0 votes
Sabrina
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2015

Hi Rick,

Can you please contact HipChat Support with information about the history issue you're seeing?

Regarding the second item, to change the retention settings for a room, you need to go to the Group admin menu (Group admin>Rooms>select the room> History retention). The URL should look like domain.hipchat.com/admin/rooms/show/xxxxx

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events